Forms of hosting services
A hosting service entails depositing and/or sharing specific content on a server handled by a hosting company. There are different varieties of hosting services used for various aims, so let's take a peek at these. Doing so, you can elect what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to own a web portal, email accounts, or to share files with buddies and associates.
- File hosting: a service provided by particular providers, which permits you to share big files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage services are often supported by exhibiting adverts next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a specific spell of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file storage account, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly imprecise explanation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would allot the load between separate stacks of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving miscellaneous web site hosting services (email, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a brand of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; some suppliers offer a hosting solution for images only. This hosting type is suitable if you would like to share a big number of pics with buddies or acquaintances since the solution is commonly free. You will receive a random link for every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to taking care of your mail accounts. Some firms provide website hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an email solution. If you would like to own an email address with your domain name but do not want to own a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can set up mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video clip creates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video files and several hundred web site viewers, you may have difficulty with your website hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will allow you to use as many video files as you desire without hassling about system supplies.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to own a website. To a certain extent, it contains all of the abovementioned hosting sorts since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and email addresses, upload videos, and so on. At Host Big Daddy, for example, you can take a glance at web hosting and dedicated server hosting packages that permit you to get all of the aforesaid solutions in a single place. There may be limitations based on the kind of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting account may be better or worse compared to the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are planned for specific content exclusively.